People who are self-conscious about their smile should consider seeing a Nashville cosmetic dentist. A cosmetic dentist can perform a variety of procedures that cannot only improve one’s smile, but they can also improve his or her overall health. Dental implants and dental bridges are two of the procedures that are frequently performed by a cosmetic dentist. Below is a detailed explanation of each procedure:
A dental implant is an artificial device that is made out of titanium. It is used to support a crown or false tooth. This procedure can be used to replace one or multiple teeth. The ideal candidate for dental implants is someone who is healthy and has enough jaw bone structure to support the dental implant. Patients who have gum disease or other serious oral problems will need to get this problem corrected before they get dental implants.
It is important to note that there are multiple steps involved in performing this procedure. First, the patient will have to meet with a dentist. The dentist will perform a consultation in order to determine whether tooth implants are the right choice. The dentist may also consult with a periodontist, prosthodontist or oral surgeon.
The next step in the process is to surgically place the implant into the jawbone. In most cases, this is performed in a dentist office. Local anesthesia is used, which means that the patient will remain awake during the procedure. The dentist must wait for the implant to fuse with the jawbone. This process is known as osseointegration. It usually takes between three and six months for osseointegration to take place.
After the jaw bone has healed, the patient will return to the dentist. The crown or false tooth will be placed during the final dental visit.
Tooth implants offer several benefits. Below are some of those benefits:
- Natural-Looking- No one will be able to tell that a person is wearing dental implants because they look natural. They also feel natural.
- Very High Success Rate- The success rate for this procedure is around 95 percent.
- Improved Appearance- Missing teeth can ruin a person’s confidence. Because tooth implants look and feel natural, a person will have a more attractive smile. An attractive smile can improve one’s overall appearance.
- Preserve Oral Health-Missing teeth can cause the jawbone to deteriorate. This treatment helps prevent bone loss. It also helps protect the remaining teeth.
- Improved quality of life- This treatment makes it easier to eat and speak.
- Long-lasting- If tooth implants are properly cared for, then they can potentially last up to 30 years.
A dental bridge is a type of restoration that is made up of one or more artificial teeth. A bridge can be supported by tooth implants or one’s natural teeth. Dental bridges can be fixed or removable. Removable bridges are typically only used for temporary purposes. Even though there are a number of factors that affect the amount of time that dental bridges last, they can last up to 20 years if they are cared for properly.
If you are missing teeth, or need to know if implants or bridges are a good option for you, please contact Dr. Stephen Poss, Nashville cosmetic dentist.